Today in class we...
- Finished the notes packet
- Watched a video
- Digestion handouts due Friday
- UP p.47-51 Prelab due Friday
- Lab #55 due Monday
- Design a Quiz due Tuesday (closer than you think!)
In the Notes...
- The stomach engages in chemical, and mechanical digestion
- HCl, gastric juice, Rennin, and Pepsin chemically digest
- Constant churning from the stomach mechanically digests
- After the stomach, the "food" moves into the duodenum of the small intestine
- Villi and microvilli absorb the nutrients into the capillaries
- Villi and microvilli increase the surface area, expediting absorption
- The old Food Pyramid is no longer effective (Right)
- Based on "servings" which can vary
- Made in 1992, it has recently been revived
- The new Pyramid focuses on easily measurable items
- Orange= Grains; 5-8 oz.
- Green= Vegetables; 2.5 cups
- Red= Fruits; 2 cups
- Yellow= Oils
- Blue= Milk; 3 cups
- Purple= Beans and Meats; 5.5 oz.
- Eating disorders are seriously dangerous, and present all around the world
- Malnutrition: a deficiency of one or more of the essential nutrients
- There are 8 critical amino acids for survival
- Kwashiorkor: Inadequate protein intake. Lack of blood proteins lead to swollen limbs
- Undernutrtion: Lack of the essential amino acids forces the body to break down muscles and brain
- Obesity: Too high of a ratio of weight to height
- 25% of Americans suffer from obesity
- Fat Cravings: Believed to be an evolutionary advancement, a craving for fattening foods
- Anorexia and Bulimia are more common in the US
- Largely caused by harsh media portrayals of "pretty"
Next Scribe: **MINJI WILL***